Friday, October 11, 2013

Abbi Signs

In my last blog I talked about subtitles on foreign language films and why I tended to avoid them. Of course there is one section of our community where subtitles are a must, even on TV programmes and films in English. They are of course members of the deaf community. I’ve seen on occasion how deaf people can struggle in this hearing world. As far as I know British Sign Language (BSL) isn’t taught in main stream school and my main question is why not. This is a section of our society that we are alienating here.

I have dabbled on and off learning BSL, even singing up for a very basic on-line course once. But the cost is an issue for me here. Yes they do evening classes in them, but the cost and knowing that I won’t be able to make every class has put me off.

I turned to YouTube to see if anyone had uploaded any learn BSL videos. Whilst many people knock YouTube for some of its content. There is a huge amount of educational stuff on there. It was searching for learn BSL videos that I came across a young lady named Abbi.

Abbi is a twenty year old Cambridge University student who, suffers from steogenesis imperfecta (Brittle Bones) and in her younger days it was thought that he condition would eventually cause her to go deaf. Hence she learnt BSL. Luckily, thanks to ‘Yay science’ (her words) she underwent surgery which has meant that she has kept her hearing.

Abbi has two YouTube channels. One dedication to Learn BSL tutorials and I’m working my way through them. I thought that even if I could just fingerspell the alphabet it would help in communication with any deaf people I meet.

Abbi’s other channel is dedicated to Music . Songs are played and she provides a sign language interpretation of the lyrics. She describes herself as a Sign Singer. Her videos are brilliant. Now if any school teachers need something to encourage their pupils to learn BSL then these videos are an excellent way to learn BSL whilst the kids are enjoying their favourite songs. Even I enjoyed listening to a One Direction song thanks to Abbi providing the sign language interpretation.

Young people of today get such a bad press, but here is one young lady, who is showing that young people can make a great contribution to the world. Check out her video and if you are a parent / teacher or just someone with an interest in BSL then use them. Abbi’s videos are a great learning resource. She deserves credit for her innovate use of YouTube and how she has added to the wealth of educational content that is available on the net.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home