Thursday, November 21, 2013

Did I tell you that I'm on the payroll of AFC Bournemouth. For an hour and half before each home match day you’ll find me selling tickets for their half time draw. It’s something that I've been doing for nearly 20 years now.. I have built up a bit of a rap-pour with some of the people that I sell tickets to. On the whole it’s an enjoyable experience. Even if my regulars do give me plenty of stick when they don't win.

Up to last season the fixtures were such that we generally had one home game followed by an away one. So my services were called on one a fortnight. We had cup games as well. Johnson Paint Trophy, FA Cup, League Cup etc. But generally there was a pattern. Saturday home game then Saturday away game. Sure we had the occasional two home or two away on the trot, but that was on the odd occasion.

Last season we got promoted to the Championship. It’s only the second time in our history that we've been in the second tier of English football. It was a proud moment.

One big change this season is the fixtures. For a start the Johnstone Paint Trophy has gone. Also we now longer play in rounds one and two of the FA Cup. We do play in the league cup but this year went out to Watford in round two. But long gone in the one home game followed by one away game routine. There doesn't seem to any pattern to our current fixtures. Also, we now get the international breaks as well. This is when the England (as well as many other nations) teams are playing, they arrange it so that there will be no matches in the Premiership and Championship that weekend. This has resulted in some bizarre fixtures schedules. We’ll only have one home game in the whole of November. This will be this Saturday against Derby. This is immediately followed by another home game against south coast rivals Brighton.

(Sings to the tune of Land of Hope and Glory)
We hate Brighton Hove Albion
We hate Reading too
We hate Pompey and Scummers but
Bournemouth we love you

The wife doesn't like the way the fixtures are organised this year without any sort of pattern and I know she isn't alone. Speaking to other people at the football they get similar comment from their other half.

My wife also commented that we get a game on a Sunday as well soon. Namely the 29th December. I'm not sure the reasons behind it, Whether its Christmas, if we are on TV or what it is but it will be odd to play on a Sunday. I have told her that when* we get promoted to the Premier League then due to Sky TV’s influence then Saturday games will probably be a novelty. However a mixed up fixture list would be worth it for a season in the Premier League.

Up The Cherries (In all departments)

*notice I said when and not if!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home