Monday, November 12, 2007

Pictures to follow

It’s Monday morning (boo), I’m on the train heading for work (boo), so thought I’d type out my blog. Yeap it seems that this is the only time in the week that I know I can sit down and blog.

Had Friday off as Sue and I were off to the \Bridgewater Carnival (pictures to follow) . It was very good, thoroughly enjoyable day. Had tea and cake at St Mary’s church in Bridgewater. Then sat in the pews waiting for time to go and see the carnival.

Saturday was spend bird watching. Went to West Sedgewick RSPB reserve. Didn’t see much here. The main attraction here is nesting herons. From the hide we saw where they had nested in the spring high up in the trees, but they had long gone.

Then on to another reserve, whose name escapes me at present. Eventually found one of the hides here. The map at the entrance isn’t very clear. Not much in the way of bird life but we did see two otters which was just fantastic. We left to go to the another hide and took a different route back hoping that is was going to be less muddy. It wasn’t it was worse. One of Sue’s shoes split under the strain of being constantly being pulled out of the mud. When we got back to the main path she said that she had to go back to the car. However we did notice a huge number of people coming into the site. It was late in the afternoon. I knew that the big starling display was around this area somewhere but didn’t realise that this was one of the best places to see it from. This left me in a dilemma. I know how much she wanted to one day see the starling display where millions of starling all form one huge flock, creating patterns in the air before landing for the night. But Sue couldn’t walk up where everyone was going because of her show situation. So I had a choice, should I leave Sue in the car and go back to see the starlings? It means there was no point in us both missing them as we were so close to them. But it just wouldn’t be the same without sue being there. But would Sue have wanted me to miss out on them as well? It wasn’t an easy choice, but I did go back to see the starlings. Saw thousands of them arrive (pictures to follow) but they all flew to the other end of the reserve behind some trees, So still didn’t see the huge spectacle of them. Which in some ways was good. Means that Sue and I can come back and see them together.

Sunday started with breakfast in the Sainsbury’s restaurant, just opposite the Travelodge. Oh I haven’t mentioned yet that it was a new Travelodge for us. We stayed at the one in Taunton. Another one to tick off the list. Before heading back. Did a couple of churches on the way back (pictures to follow) Last of which was the outstanding Wilton Parish Church near Salisbury. Superb Italianate design. Sorry folks yet again, pictures are to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home